Want to take it up a notch? Crush up some Frosted Flakes in a flat-bottomed dish and dredge your bread slices through the cereal after the custard. Cook per usual. The sugar on the cereal caramelizes just a wee bit. Delicious!
For best results, place the bread slices on a plate or wire rack overnight before cooking.
- 8 slices thick bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, warmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Place a rack-lined sheet pan in the oven. Prepare a second sheet pan with a wire rack.
- Make the custard by whisking together eggs, half and half, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon/nutmeg (if using).
- Pour custard into a flat-bottomed dish that accommodates 1-2 slices of bread.
- Dip bread in the custard for 30 seconds on each side. Place on the 2nd wire rack for 1-2 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan or griddle at medium-low heat. Cook 2 pieces of bread at a time, about 1-2 minutes each side.
- Place cooked slices on the rack in the oven for about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.